In this corner, weighing in at one hundred and none of your business pounds, is Lethargy. She is sly, seductive, and completely encompassing. One touch from her tentacles and you will be so unmotivated, you won't even want to enter the ring. And in this corner, weighing in at a firm and fit one hundred and leave me alone pounds, is Productivity. She is in your face, in your place, on your ass, and fixing your space. When this tornado blows by, you have no choice but getting swept up.
Welcome to the battle that has taken up residence in my head. Is it strange that I can find beauty and appeal in both lethargy and productivity. The dual personalities living inside my mind are constantly berating the other. Probably, I'm not schizophrenic, most likely its just my conscience at war. The whole devil/angle shoulder thing comes to mind.
There are days when I wake up and am absurdly active. There is nothing I can't do. Its not a full on manic high, but just simply feels great to get shit done. I'm supermom, rock star girlfriend, and employee of the year. I bust my ass so efficiently and effectively that by the end of this maniacal charade my body simply stops. This episode rarely lasts more than a couple days, and typically is when I am finally able to get caught up on my life's responsibilities.
Perhaps this is the ultimate in procrastination... I revel in lethargy, until I am so far behind in life, my only alternative is to snap out of my hedonistic revelry and start to bust ass again. Probably gonna have to sleep on that little nugget. Yikes!
Speaking of hedonistic revelry... has there every been a more pleasurable experience than deciding to have a read/sleep day? On said day, I can while away an entire afternoon in bed reading and sleeping, reading and sleeping, pissing, eating, reading and sleeping. Bliss... absolute lazy bliss. As enchanting as this experience is, it is ever compounded with GUILT. My angel, other voice, doppelganger, plagues me with this incessant judgement regarding inactivity and apathy. But do I let this horrifically mean and irritating voice get to me? Absolutely, not. I am committed to my lethargy. When at war, I am always routing for sloth to win, though I am 100% positive that is the wrong choice.
Eh... whatevs! Making the right choice is lame. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment