On Motherhood
How is it, that being a mother can be one of the most ubiquitous experiences across the planet, and yet still unique and supremely individual. This commonality that binds women across all cultures and economic plains, this thread that weaves itself in and out of existence, and yet it at its most basic core is a profound love that trumps all others.
Mother’s Day is when we celebrate the eternal strength of Motherhood. When we honor Mom’s of all backgrounds for the support love and care they provide. We honor the step mom’s who help care for our children when we are unable to do so, we honor the Mom’s who foster or adopt the children who need us most, we honor our grandmothers who provided guidance and support to not only our own mothers, but to ourselves as moms. We honor the most sacrificial and devout single moms who persist without support and still provide more love and safety than is seemingly possible. We honor the generations of women who have chosen to sacrifice themselves daily for the sheer pleasure and joy of holding something more precious, more audacious, more prolific, that their mere existences feels like a miracle.
On this day, I’m always filled with wonder. For those who know me well, you are aware that I’m am a truly fortunate woman. I have family that loves, cherishes, and supports me. From by great-grandmothers, grandmothers, and my most amazing mom, I have been surrounded by feminine and awe inspiring wisdom. I have seen what sacrifice looks like, and still witnessed strength and perseverance of ones own dreams. My own mother, who always worked to help support our family, went back to school later in life to pursue her own goals and dreams. What an inspiration this was as a child. To know that while being a mother is the greatest gift, it is still important to feed ones own soul. This is how our individuality is able to persist and provide the strength and nurturing our daughters need.
My own daughter, is by far the most incredible, amazing, astounding, there aren’t big enough words for me to convey this feeling, person in my world. In fact she is my world. I wake up smiling, thinking about the little lady she is becoming. I fall asleep beaming with pride over the force of nature she is proving to be. I think of all the women who have played a roll in aiding her into becoming who she is destined to be, and I humbled. Tears fill my eyes as I write. Without all of the love and support of Mom’s, real and adopted, Grandmothers here and gone, of Stepmom’s, of best friend mommy’s, of friends who just love my daughter, of womanhood and womankind, my daughter’s strength would be less. Her character would somehow be changed, were it not for all of you. I am blessed, and as a result of this estrogen fueled and female filled frenzy we call life, my darling, Ella… You too are blessed.
Happiest Mother’s Day to all who have come before, to all who are living this dream, and to all who will one day embark on this most profound journey. May the thread that bind us be strong while still yielding. May our own paths be filled with the journeys of the billions that join us in this calling, while allowing us the beauty of existence and personal experience. May our memories feed our souls and shine on the world around.
No comments:
Post a Comment